Re: Experiences in Indonesia

On Tue, 03 Mar 1998 07:03:43 GMT, pberrett (@tbsa.com.au) wrote:

>that the railways are (I Think from sight) narrow guage.

1067mm

>what speed they travel at but it must be at around 70-80 miles per
>hour

Expresses get up to about 100 kph, I've timed them.

>Another interesting thing is that the platforms (if one can call them
>that) are at ground level. No raised platforms like in Australia.

High level platforms in the Jakata suburban area, low level elsewhere.

>I travelled Eksekutif class which is the best class (air conditioned).
>Despite this I think the Indonesians need to improve things a little
>more.  The train authorities have gone to great troubles to include air
>conditioning and videos on board but the toilets and maintainence on
>carriages often left a little to be desired by Australian standards.
>By this I mean broken toilet seats, non flushable toilets and
>generally poor cleaniliness.

You were lucky you actually got a seat, even in Eksekutive class, as
they often over book and its a bun fight to see who gets to occupy a
booked seat.  For one reason or another there are often a few seats
which are unoccupiable (air conditioning leaking over them or
whatever) and if you have a booking for those seats your totally out
of luck.

>Australia could learn a lot from what the Indoensians are trying to
>do. They are trying to offer fast traisn with quality service.

The trains are packed, there are not enough of them, and the timing is
often inconvenient and not well integrated with connecting services.

>The fact that the first class carrages were full bears testimony to the
>fact that they are on the right track.

It is probably more a testimony to the fact the travelling by rail,
for all its problems, is a less terrifying experience than a PATAS
coach, especially on the roads to Banguwangi.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton                 billbolton@computer.org
Sydney, Australia