Re: Passenger Information Displays

Geoff Lambert wrote:

> There is a display like this at Circular Quay, for people who want to
> get to Central/Redfern on the next available train.  However, apart
> from a day or two after it was introduced some years ago, it never
> seems to have been used or else it has never worked properly.  Just
> like North Sydney, we all dash up and down the stairs if we make the
> wrong decision on which platform to choose.

The displays at Circular Quay have worked every time I have been there.  They
flash as a train is approaching.

There are similar displays at Wynyard, showing the next train to Town Hall /
Central and also at Town Hall shoing a) next train to Central, and b) next train
to Wynyard.

These displays all work off the track circuits.  It is not as easy at North
Sydney to set up, because trains stored in the tunnels would trigger the
circuits.  I would say the best way to set North Sydney up would be to connect
an indicator light to illuminate upon clearance of the starting signals, but
this may not always provide enough time for passengers to get down the stairs.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard