Re: maglev-article now in english

RSDHanstein@T-Online.de wrote:

> My article on maglevs „Was kann die Magnetbahn eigentlich besser?“ is now
> available in english.
>
> Please read the complete english version under the URL
>
> http://home.t-online.de/home/rsdhanstein/rh_2eng.htm

Reinhard, this is a very interesting article.

While reading the part where you said that land transport is
not work taking over about 300km/hr due to the high air
density at ground level as compared to that of airplanes at
high altitude, I just had this wild thought that maybe it might
be possible to run the trains in a vacuum (or at least low-pressure)
tunnel constructed around the track. It could even be constructed
so that the low pressure field is setup just before the leading
edge of the train, and a high-pressure field set up on its trailing
edge, thus assisting the train in its path. Of course, it would
mean the installation of many thousands of kilometres of tunnels
with giant electric fans capable of moving air through the tunnel
at incredible rates, but it probably would still be cheaper to
run than a mag-lev track in terms of energy input. :-)

--
 o Alex Borodin B.Eng(Hons)        o Queensland Rail
 o Software and Systems Engineer   o Ph: +61-7-3235-2482