Re: Passenger Information Displays

Geoff Lambert wrote:

> Now that's an interesting thing- I've never seen them working.  There
> was no indication on them last night for instance, although a train
> was standing at the platform.

It will not flash while a train is at the platform.  This is a deliberate attempt
to stop people racing up the escalators and diving on to a departing train.  The
indicator for the City Inner platform starts flashing as the train leaves St
James, giving 3 minutes warning of an approaching train.  The indicator for the
City Outer starts flashing as the train leaves Wynyard, giving 2 minutes warning.
There is ample time on both to wait at the bottom until one starts flashing.

I have always been curious as to the wording of the indicators.  They say "Next
train to Central".  When there are two trains approaching, they both say that the
next train is off that platform.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard