Re: Number Of Platforms At CBD Stations

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:08:40 +1100, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>David Bradshaw wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued. Were these platforms ever used in the first place? If so,
>> what was their purpose, and if not, what were they intended for?
>
>26/27 platforms have never seen a train.  They were constructed to provide extra
>platforms in the event that they would be needed.  Some people believe that they
>were earmarked for a future airport line, but this will now be using 21/23
>platforms.  The most likely application for them now would be a high speed train
>to Canberra.  I guess we'll hear more about that at the next election.
>
>There is also space available for two extra platforms at Redfern between
>Platforms 10 and 11 in the big hole.

  Where abouts is the big hole? Is it behind the brick wall behind the
eastern most platforms? And is that where the light comes from when on
the underground platforms??
|  Ashley Wright, Sydney Australia	              |
|  ajwright@ozemail.com.au    or                      |
|  a.wright@student.canberra.edu.au                   |
|  www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright          |