Re: Number Of Platforms At CBD Stations

David Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm intrigued. Were these platforms ever used in the first place? If so,
> what was their purpose, and if not, what were they intended for?

26/27 platforms have never seen a train.  They were constructed to provide extra
platforms in the event that they would be needed.  Some people believe that they
were earmarked for a future airport line, but this will now be using 21/23
platforms.  The most likely application for them now would be a high speed train
to Canberra.  I guess we'll hear more about that at the next election.

There is also space available for two extra platforms at Redfern between
Platforms 10 and 11 in the big hole.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard