Re: Interesting Rumour

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:09:47 GMT, telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) wrote:

>"David Proctor" <daproc@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>A rumour heard from three different and usually reliable sources in NR
>>indicate that NR is looking to purchase approx. 4 - 6 N class from Victoria.
>>The intention is to place them on standard gauge bogies, and use them, and
>>their HEP capabilities, to provide "hook-and-pull" service to GSR on 'The
>>Overland' and Countrylink on the Broken Hill and Griffith passengers -
>>anyone heard anything about this?
>

>Makes sense, the use of NR class on the Overland
>irrespective of their "multi magical" HP settings is
>overkill to say the least.

V/Line Passenger has 22 Sprinters, 25 Ns, 4 As and 8 Ps. Why would
they sell some of thier most modern locos and hang onto old two person
locomtives? The Sprinters and the Ns are Driver Only; the As and the
Ps are not.

The N class would have to be accredited for operation in NSW  and lots
of crews would have to be trained in their operation. NR class are
already accredioted for all states and all NRC crews are qualified for
them.

GSR gained ownership of many power vans in the purchase of AN Pass.
The hook and pull contract runs for five years.

CountryLinks powervans seem to be in reasonable condition. Perhaps an
A class on the Griffith/Broken Hill service would work But any unique
loco in a roster would have inbuilt inefficiencies.

Why would VLP sell their most efficient locos?
Why would NRC buy more locos to replace locos that they already own?
Why would GSR want to renegotiate a contract to put less power at the
head of their trains?

Cheers

Krel
" Am I a railfan, a train enthusiast, a gunzel or just an eccentric crank ???
Or all of the above ????????