Re: Melbourne & Geelong spotting and photo locations

On 29 Jun 1998 06:38:28 GMT, Peter Mason
<#NO_SPAM#Peter_Mason@nabaus.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>As it is now school holidays, thought I might get out with my son and go find some trains in
>the Melbourne & Geelong areas during a week day. Where are the good spots to view and
>photograph trains - Pass, Goods, SG and BG?

>In the past writers to this news group have talked about locations in the Footscray West and
>Tottenham areas? Are there specific locations worth visiting? Are there other spotting
>locations in the Melbourne area that are safe and legal?

Footscray West:  The footbridge near the station: good views of SG and
BG;  afternoon location, city skyline lovely backdrops, Middle
Footscray in the mid-foreground.

Tottenham "B" Box area: junction of west and north SG lines: enter
from Ashley Street just north of Totty Yard underpass: follow dirt
road along track to the box at west end of SG Tottenham Loop.  Wear
hi-vis vest, tell signalman you're there, stay 2m from running lines
and you won't have a problem.

Altona Junction:  near Millers Road.  Both the curve looking towards
Geelong (west of Millers Road) and the Junction area (east of Millers
Road.  Piles of rubble/remnants of old platform (?) enable you to get
higher to see/phot the junction trackwork with trains.

Galvin Block Point:  dirt access track off the road near the baseball
park at Laverton.  Mounds back from track offer lovely elevated
views/pan shots for video for BG and SG.  Closer to freeway bridge you
can get good telephoto shots looking back towards city skyline.

Manor Loop:  past Werribee: no overhead, loop has crest halfway so
trains work up to "summit" both ways.  Straight track/fast running;
can see trains coming for long way from Werribee or Little River.

Little River:  Mound on SG side of line on up side of station.

Lara:  Use your Melways to find small court (no houses yet) which gets
you to bridge over river on downside (1 km) of Lara station.

>Another related question - where is "Elders Block Point" on the
>Melbourne-Geelong SG - is there a loop there?

Elders Block Point is b/w North Shore and Lara near the Elders
buildings north of the Princes Highway flyover.  There is *no loop*
there although a year or so ago, NR almost tried to cross a couple of
trains there when the ASW computer released opposing trains from both
Manor and Gheringhap.

Regards

Yuri
--

"It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you."