Re: Prspector News Release

In article <3590d251.0@139.134.5.33> "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com> writes:
>From: "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: Prspector News Release
>Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:46:34 +1000

>Now just hold on there one second. When it comes to RAC, I personally think
>it is a good idea. The more you can get the railways like roads the better,
>i.e. the RAC is just like the RTA. It makes it easier to compare the two and
>make roads more accountable (I wish).

>The Federal Highway isn't owned by the Fed's, so why should the state rail
>system be owned by the Fed's??? I can see it only leading to disaster.

>Ben Staples

The RAC is nothing like the RTA.
For a start the RTA has an open access regime where the costs and charges
levied on all road users are open to the public .
The RTA in NSW and indeed the equivalent is all other states have common sets
of rules and conditions which relate to long distance interstate road
transport.
On the other hand the RAC is a secretive organization , who wont release any
of their charges or conditions.
There is no cooperation at all between rail access authorities in other states
.I never suggested for a moment that all NSW track be given to the feds, and
indeed this isnt happening anywhere.
All thats happening is that the PTC are leasing their interstate track to the
ARTC for 15 years, which means that in part we can reduce slightly and only
slightly the myriad of conflicting rules & regulations that apply to rail and
not to road.
As NSW & WA refused to cooperate , we continue to see more and more state
specific rules & regulations being introduced on interstate lines, which does
nothing but drive up the costs for the interstate rail operator , whereas the
interstate road operator has common rules & regulations throughout the country.
If NSW & WA had done the same thing , we would have a single SG line from
Brisbane to Perth all operated by the one crowd, hopefully with common
signalling & safeworking systems and common driver accredidation.
No chance in hell of this ever happening now.

MD