re: QR Moree Extension

Dave Proctor wondered

>In article <358f8091.3420328@news.tbsa.com.au>,
>  pberrett@<removethis>tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) wrote:

>> I suggest that a tender be let out for the establishment of a high
>> speed rail service from Sydney to Canbrra with various consortiums
>> tendering various options for such a service eg TGV, Maglev, Tit train
>> technologies etc.
>>
>> I further suggest that the tender be given to the TGV consortium in
>> light of speed, safety, proven technology etc.

>That at least is a realistic and viable idea - as long as we don't leave it to
>governments to ruin. But seriously, your idea of a passenger train from Sydney
>to Brisbane via Moree, utilising variable-gauge bogies... you weren't really
>serious, were you (please, tell me you weren't, restore my faith that not ALL
>rail enthusiasts are nuts!)

>Hope this helps,

>David "The Doctor" Proctor

Why not - if it works for the Spaniards why not for us? With two
gauges how else can you run a train from Sydney to Brisbane via
Moree???

Thinks...

Thinks...

Thinks...

I suppose there is one other way. It would be a bit bizarre but would
be ideal if the line to Darwin was broad gauge.

What would happen is that the south bound train to Moree from Brisbane
would arrive at Moree and then be piggybacked (narrow gauge bogies and
all) on the back of specially desgned broad gauge bogies). I believe
this has actually been done but is probably impractical for high speed
use.

Returning to the gauge convertible concept, the Melbourne to Brisbane
route would require a high speed (300kph) gauge convertible high speed
train possibly even with a tilting mechanism for added passenger
comfort. Probably a darn side cheaper than building a new standard
gauge spur to Brisbane.

Sorry to disappoint you Dave - we are all loonies.

cheers Peter

Where the gauge convertibility would come in handy is a Melbourne to
Brisbane service via Moree ie standard gauge to Moree then narrow
gauge to Brisbane.