Re: QR Moree Extension

pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) (removethis) wrote:
> Why not - if it works for the Spaniards why not for us? With two
> gauges how else can you run a train from Sydney to Brisbane via
> Moree???

The only broad/narrow gauge convertable passenger train

> What would happen is that the south bound train to Moree from Brisbane
> would arrive at Moree and then be piggybacked (narrow gauge bogies and
> all) on the back of specially desgned broad gauge bogies). I believe
> this has actually been done but is probably impractical for high speed
> use.

It was done in South Australia with freight, but would not be practical
for passenger. It would be way too high when piggy backed.

> Returning to the gauge convertible concept, the Melbourne to Brisbane
> route would require a high speed (300kph) gauge convertible high speed
> train possibly even with a tilting mechanism for added passenger
> comfort. Probably a darn side cheaper than building a new standard
> gauge spur to Brisbane.

A standard gauge line through the Darling Downs to Brisbane would be more
useful. Passengers are not going to pay for the line, freight is.

A standard gauge alternative to the north coast line would be more useful.

Cheers
David