Re: Just an idea? Plans for an South-Eastern Suburbs Freight Intermodal Centre.

G'day,

Les Brown wrote:
> RAIL ACCESS:
> Standard Gauge access would be more difficult and more costly.

Given that you're talking about Fastrack, which is basically all
intrastate traffic, I don't think SG is justified (similarly, as a
pointed out in another thread I don't think any standardisation in
Victoria other than the interstate routes is justified) as there is
relatively little freight to come off the intrastate network which then
goes onto the interstate.  For the interstate stuff, it can go by road
to Dynon from the SE suburbs up the SE Arterial, then across Melbourne
via Citylink.  Not ideal, true - but the difficulties in getting SG to
the south-east of Melbourne are enormous, as are the costs.

By the way, what is supposed to happen in "3 years" which will allow
fastrack back onto rail?

Cheers,
CH.
--