Re: Just an idea? Plans for an South-Eastern Suburbs Freight Intermodal Centre.

L & D <daisyw@ozemail.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>why?  they could dual gauge one of the existing viaduct lines then convert
>a line thru Flinders st then a new line thru the yard area if there is
>still any room left now then convert one of the Caulfield lines to dual
>gauge with bi-directional signaling and if they ever build a third line
>from Caulfield Dual gauge that as well

Yeh, they could but my concern would be the difficulty in pathing such
a train, even more so if you assume an increase in traffic flow of
trains in excess of 2000 metres in length. It would be necessary to
restrict all trains, broad and standard, to certain times of the night
and day. Double stacking, essential if this project is to go ahead,
would make the route impossible.

>> There may be other centres with better possibilites, but I am more
>> familiar with Dandenong. I am sure that a need will exist in time.

>Don't hold your breath

I didn't say "my time". (:-)

Les Brown