Re: Just an idea? Plans for an South-Eastern Suburbs Freight Intermodal Centre.

Les Brown wrote:

> PROBLEM:
>
> Now that Vline Fright have announced that they intend to "temporarily"
> (3 years so they say. I say: yeh,right) transfer to road their Fast
> Track parcels and pallet freight to certain major country centres due
> to the fact that North Dynon can't hold everything, perhaps now is the
> time to think about a new freight terminal?
>
> WHERE:
>
> The south-eastern suburbs
>
> Why?
>
> Because freight coming from the industrial eastern suburbs to North
> Dynon has to go across Melbourne to get there. Major wharehouses and
> industries have their manufacturing centres and distribution
> wharehouses in the eastern suburbs. In order for freight to get to
> North Dynon, I believe the South Eastern Freeway is the primary route
> taken. Currently in the process of massive re-widening, the trucks
> using that route would probably contribute to further increases of
> traffic flow as more industry moves out there.
>
> LOCATION:
>
> I would propose that Dandenong be the best place.
>
> Why?
>
> 1/ Because it is located close to major highway and freeway access. If
> the proposed Eastern Ring Road goes ahead as it most likely will, this
> will only enhance the location.
>
> 2/ Rail access infrastructure could be increased for relatively little
> cost as compared to say the widening of the South Eastern Freeway (BTW
> - further widening of this road is more than likely in the next 20
> years as population and industry continue to move out there and along
> the corridor towards Warragul)
>
> 3/ Land is available at either the Dandenong Stock Yards which are
> expected to close down at the end of the year, or at the old GMH
> facility which is now up for sale. The latter is probably the best
> option as far more land is available and rudimentary siding facilities
> are in place and is in greater proximity to the South Eastern Freeway.
>
> RAIL ACCESS:
>
> Both Broad and Standard-Gauge access must be available. A third
> broad-gauge from Caulfield has been on the drawing boards for decades.
> It will have to be built sooner-or-later as Cranbourne develops. A
> Dandenong rail-freight centre would be able to capitalise on the third
> track.
>
> Standard Gauge access would be more difficult and more costly.
>
> If built through Caulfield it would have the beneficial effect that it
> could branch off to Long Island as well. It would be very costly as it
> means the contruction of a new line from North Melbourne, across on

> new viaduct between Spencer and Flinders Street stations, not to

why?  they could dual gauge one of the existing viaduct lines then convert
a line thru Flinders st then a new line thru the yard area if there is
still any room left now then convert one of the Caulfield lines to dual
gauge with bi-directional signaling and if they ever build a third line
from Caulfield Dual gauge that as well

> mention a wider rail bridge across the Yarra at South Yarra and other
> horribly expensive and environmentally frightful options.
>
> The other option is to route it more or less along the path of the old
> outer-circle line and follow the inner-circle to North Melbourne. The
> advantage of this method is that it could be dual-gauge which would
> relieve any burden on trying to path long freight trains through the
> Melbourne Metro area. It could be built for double-stacking together
> with a further possibility of use as an alternative route for a VFT.
>
> It might (would!!) in fact be more economically wiser to convert all
> of Melbourne's suburban lines to Standard gauge as the best option of
> all. Nevertheless, I think a new track into Dandenong would still be
> needed.
>
> FUNDING:
>
> Same as for the South Eastern Freeway. Build-Own-Operate-Transfer
> (BOOT). Private enterprise to have exclusive rights for 30 years or so
> to own and run freight trains in and out of the freight centre. Plus,
> perhaps (and this is a bit cheeky), a toll on trucks over a certain
> gross tonnage using the South-Eastern Freeway. Plus Federal and State
> government grants as means of containing automotive-originating gas
> emmissions. Such an advantage would be very attractive to dwellers
> along the path of the freeway.
>
> There may be other centres with better possibilites, but I am more
> familiar with Dandenong. I am sure that a need will exist in time.
>
> Les Brown

Don't hold your breath

Davo