Re: NSW rail pass

In article <898005247.849918@trillian>,
  Graham Duffin <duffin@pronet.net.au> wrote:

> My understanding is that NSW tickets are valid from Surfers Paradise so
> on the pass you could travel to/from the Gold Coast.

Correct - Surfers Paradise (and Echuca and Mildura) are classed as NSW
destinations for the purposes of the NSW Discovery Pass.

> As the pass is only valid from the border so it basically only takes
> you as far as Albury in the south or Kyogle in the north.  The rules
> say it's not supposed to be used as part of an interstate journey so
> your idea of changing services at Albury is the best way around it.

Dont even need to change trains.

<TOPSECRET>

If you go into a different booking office, or the same booking office at a
different time, and say "Can I have a ticket from Kyogle to Brisbane on this
train on this date" they will sell you the ticket - then you just inform the
on-board staff (who don't care, as long as you have a ticket - that's all they
(some of them anyway) worry about) so that you don't get a nice 3.30am wakeup
call.

</TOPSECRET>

<YHA COMMITTEE MEMBER HAT>

Just a tip about the pass - consider joing YHA (the old Youth Hostels
Association) - you can buy the pass for $199 (not the 10% discount as in the
advertising - definitely $199) and there are hostels in some great locations
in NSW, that are cheap, clean, and often give you your own room!

</YHA COMMITTEE MEMBER HAT>

Hope this helps,

David "The Doctor" Proctor