Re: NSW rail pass

peter berrett <pberrett@ <"remove-this-spambaittbsa.com.au> wrote in
article <6m5llq$798@news.tbsa.com.au>...
> Hi all
>
> I have from time to time pondered the use of a NSW rail pass (28 days)
> to have a look at NSW at some leisure but have noted that it can't be
> used as part of an interstate journey.
>
> How exactly is that particular provision interpreted? I'd like to use it
> as a means of travelling by rail up the East coast early next year ie
> Melbourne to Albury to Sydney to Brisbane.
>
> I suspect that this would mean that an overnight journey Brisbane to Syd
> or Melb to Syd woudl be out of the question.
>
> But what if I travelled say by spark ot Robina then bus to Murwillumbah
> then Xpt to Sydney
>
> or Vline to Albury then caught Melb to Syd Xpt an hour or two later at
> Albury station?
>
> What is/isn't permitted? And how can one get around these problems?
>
> cheers Peter

Had a 7-day NSW pass on one of my visits to the land of Oz and had a great
time tripping about.  Locals probably thought I was crazy doing things like
catch the XPT to Murwillumbah, get out, walk up and down the platform a
couple of times while the train was being cleaned, then hop back in for the
trip back to Sydney.

Also went to Albury on the XPT (terminated there in those days), and came
back to Sydney on the overnight train.

So, it's fine as long as you use the ticket intra-state.  You can use any
other ticket or means of travel you like to travel interstate.

Cheers
Michael McDonald