Re: 42106 & Northern Rivers Railroad

Neill wrote in message ...

<snip>

>Would it be too difficult to extend the line with the help of a
>countrylink grant from your government(for a passenger station to acess
>the huge domestic tourism market to the gold coast, at the moment
>mullinbah(however you spell it) is just too far away) to extend the line
>to tweed heads. NRR could establish a container terminal to Australia's
>largest regional city (pop 360 000-500 000 by 2010), that would
>significantly improve NRR's bottom line.
>

>"Never let someone stuff something up for you, when you can stuff it just
>as well yourself"
>
>Neill

The Qld government is currently looking at extending the narrow gauge line
to Coolangatta and the projected location would allow an extension to or
from the south. The main problems are 1   Bridgeing the various arms of the
Tweed River on high level bridges and 2  The break of gauge from the NSW
standard to the Qld narrow. Besides, there is an airport at Coolangatta and
this picks up most of the non car traffic.

BTW it's spelled Murwillumbah and pronounced mer-wool-um-bar. It's nothing
like the Gold Coast and I recommend the Murbah branch line as a destination
in itself. It's a pity the trains don't stop at Eltham any more.

Barry Campbell

(Formerly of Lismore and Bexhill)