Re: FP-11 Withdrawal Date

Karl Maftoum wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:31:41 +1000, "Chris Stratton"
> <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:
>
> >I have the following photos of FPs in service
> >
> >FP13 at Wollongong 11/5/83
> >FP12 at Kempsey 11/7/84
> >FP13 at Hurstville 9/10/84
> >FP12 at Yerrinbool 18/3/85
> >FP12 at Coolamon 3/4/85
>
> Interesting, the logbook in FP-12 must have been an older one, I just
> assumed that it was its final logbook, or mabye it was Dec '85, it's
> been about 6 months since I saw it :)
>
> I'd be interested to know why the railways stripped 12 and not 11, 12
> being considerably more modern. FP-7 is also a possible goer, it is in
> the Goulburn Roundhouse, needs an overhaul but is basically ok. FP-12
> is without an engine, transmission and most of its electrical cabinet,
> and FP-10 has an engine, no transmission, but is missing some control
> gear.
>
> I've heard FP-8 runs, does anyone know the status of FP-9 and FP-13 at
> Dorrigo?

The reason some buses were stripped like 12 was that as they developed
engine or transmission faults they were withdrawn and used for parts to
keep the rest going. The transmissions particularly are almost impossible
to get parts for. The engines are old and also can prove hard to find
parts for also. I've driven FP8 at Cowra and it goes well but is not
registered and they have no interest in using it.
An interesting point about pay buses is that in regular service they were
driven not by locomotive drivers but by workshop people (usually
labourers) and they went all around the state with the crew staying in
barracks . The buses went out on Mondays and returned on Fridays. A guard
from Sydney would travel with the bus and he had the road knowledge.
Bob