Re: TRAIN DRIVER

SJG wrote in message <35820591.760669@wag-news.tpgi.com.au>...

>What is the cut off age for station assistants and do CityRail still
>currently employ assistants???

There should now be no upper age limits, either for getting a job with the
SRA or for retiring. I've heard of several friends of friends getting on as
SA's in the last year.

> What do they look for?

I've been told that they will now require School Certificate standard to
become a Driver. If this is true it will be a departure from previous
practice, which only required passing an entrance exam.

> Has anyone come off the streets and straight in as a guard??

In 1977, there was a requirement to be a SA for 9 weeks, then shunter's
school, then approx 6 weeks as a shunter (this may have only been for
country guards), then guards school (minimum age 21 for ETR guard). There
have probably been changes to this in the last 21 years, maybe someone can
fill us in.

>(Sorry for the Qs but i have been trying to get into the rail industry
>for some time but nobody was prepared to say how people progress to
>drivers until recently)

You only had to ask, there are plenty of knowledgeable, helpful people here
that would've helped you I'm sure.