Re: 42106 & Northern Rivers Railroad

GOODWIN ALCO <alco@planet.net.au> writes:

>    You may very well be right. I was told that they were wanting it to
>run and that there is a 421 motor at Thirlmere for it but this may just
>be rumour.
>  Im sure on a visit some years ago I was shown a 421 motor under a tarp
>.

 The locomotive was gutted. Totaly. 42106 is a empty shell with wheels
under it. All the internal bulkheads except the cab walls at each end were
cut out. Sundry removed parts are scattered around the museum grounds.

 It was intended to fit a coal fired turbine to it. The body was 'emptied'
with this in mind, so all the equipment mounting points were cut off as well.

 The only useful parts left would be the traction motors and possibly
some of the control gear, but they have sat idle so long with the roof
open that it would be all rusted up by now.

 The unit is really only good for painting up and turning into a static
museum exhibit. How any one can think it is useful now amazes me. Unless
you happen to want a 421 class frame for remanufacture.