Re: Concord derailment

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:01:50 +1000, "Tezza" <tezza@atinet.com.au>
wrote:

>Ben Staples wrote in message <357fb4b1.0@139.134.5.33>...
>>Even though this is being pedantic, I saw four NR employees walking "on
>>track" without orange safety vests on while train crew swapping today.
>

>NR have green, so-called safety vests.

In NSW we 'must' wear an orange vest because if we wore a yellow one
people would think we were a yellow flag and react accordingly.

In Vic we 'must' wear a yellow vest because orange is used by road
workers and an orange vest may be mistaken for a red flag. The
exception to this is a track worker holding a steady yellow flag
(indicating 'audible track warning devices present' - detonators in
NSW-speak) he gets to wear an orange vest so we can see his yellow
flag.

In the real world we wear whatever colour we can get out of stores,
after all, who cares, so long as you are seen clearly. I would argue
that it is more important to have reflectorised strips on a safety
vest than to have any particular colour.

Cheers

Krel