Re: TRAIN DRIVER

I agree with MarkBau1. However, the Aussie railways still seem to be distorted and
twisted by regressive trade unions, craft demarcations, and ridiculous hiring
practices. One only has to look at some of the irrational and abusive messages
posted to this groups by Tezza, KenSiko, and a few others to see what I mean. (
After getting a threat from one character, I complained to his ISP! Note that Mark
is concerned about being flamed - yeah, well, someone has to stand up to the oafs
and bullies........)

However, the cold winds of realism do finally seem to be stirring in Aus, and it
may be worth making a direct application to the Human Resources people in railways,
stressing your customer focus, your courtesy, your willingness to multiskill, your
belief in productivity improvements, and your willingness to have an individual
employment contract outside of the union.

Do NOT tell them that you think that the railways as they are are great, that you
are happy to join the union, etc etc.

If rail mangements are finally seeing the light, and there is a vacancy, you might
be considered. If, however, they see your letter as the composition of a
troublemaker, then you will be rejected. Which is good, because it means that it is
still not a good time to join..........

Bill