Re: Derailment at Concort West

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Albert Alcoceba wrote:

> Train services on the Western, North Shore and Main North lines were
> severely disrupted.
>
> Wednesday saw delays of up to 25 minutes on the Epping - Hornsby runs
> and 15 mins on the upper reaches of the North Shore line as they tried
> to cope with all the trains at Hornsby.  At 3:00pm there were at least
> 5 trains queued up one behind the other stretching from Pennant Hills
> to Hornsby.
>
> The scene at Hornsby was chaotic with staff having no information as
> to what services would be formed from what sets and from what
> platforms.

It just goes to show how important the rail system is as a link in the
Sydney/greater metro public transport system. I suppose though that the
derailment happened at one of the worst places.. where it could affect
most services in and out of the city. In my expereience whenever a problem
occurs on a line, the staff are more often than not the last people to
know whats going on. Which isn't good in such a chaotic situation when
there are hundreds of people suddenly converging on Hornsby!! I'll buy 'em
a drink just for getting through the week!

Rob