Re: Derailment at Concort West

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 14:03:16 +1000, Robert Prentice
<c9605190@alinga.newcastle.edu.au> wrote:

>Regarding the derailment at Concord this morning.. I heard that Northern
>Line trains were terminating at Epping, with buses to Strathfield to join
>trains to the City. Was this the go all day? Does anyone know what
>happened yet? Apparently they were doing about 80km/h.. was it a track
>problem that could've occurred a couple of hours later when full commuters
>were heading into the City? Heard nothing this morning about 5.20am at
>Newcastle.

Buses running Epping to Strathfield and Central Coast/Newscastle
trains diverted via the North Shore all day Tuesday.  Wednesday saw
buses running Rhodes to Strathfield and Central Coast/Newscastle
trains commencing from Hornsby until about 2:30pm when buses began to
run Epping to Strathfield and Newcastle/Central Coast were sent down
the Shore again.

Train services on the Western, North Shore and Main North lines were
severely disrupted.

Wednesday saw delays of up to 25 minutes on the Epping - Hornsby runs
and 15 mins on the upper reaches of the North Shore line as they tried
to cope with all the trains at Hornsby.  At 3:00pm there were at least
5 trains queued up one behind the other stretching from Pennant Hills
to Hornsby.

The scene at Hornsby was chaotic with staff having no information as
to what services would be formed from what sets and from what
platforms.

Albert Alcoceba
alberta@zip.com.au
http://www.zip.com.au/~alberta