CityRail...

As a Newcastle/Hunter line user, I've unfortunately had to put up with the
Authority to Travel machines which abound around here.. automatic ticket
machines are only available on the larger stations. I regularly travel
between Adamstown and Warabrook, which means changing lines at Hamilton.
The problem is, all I get at Adamstown is the 'Authority' ticket with a
date and 90 cents on it (when it accepts the money properly!), and when
you show this to the attendants at Hamilton, telling them you're going on
to another station, they have to quickly decide if the fare is correct in
their head.
  Surely there has to be a better way of doing this.. and the fact that
Authority to Travel machines DONT give change is a constant headache... if
all you have is a two dollar coin (say for a 90 cent fare), then you get a
ticket for $2! I am sure that this system drives more potential passengers
off the railways. Whats annoying is that Adamstown used to be an attended
station, so has all the facilities for station master, etc there... good
'ol budget cuts rear their head again, eh?
  Rail travel is by far the best transport option, and will be more so in
the future if only CityRail upgraded to provide better passenger services.
I can't believe they're out for more cutbacks... FreightRail too here
now that Broadmeadow yards operations are being moved to Port Waratah.

  Was reading the posting about the guard in Wollongong up for assault
after hitting some idiot with a spanner after he kept pushing the
emergency stop... why aren't all guards issued with spanners for this
purpose? Last Friday's 4.12pm Sydney to Newcastle express was late because
someone pressed the emergency stop at Cowan. I'll buy a drink for the
CityRail crew though, who made up time on the way, arriving at Broadmeadow
only about 7 min. late.

I've had my gripe for the day!

Cheers,
Rob