Re: Accuracy of Time/Date Stamp on a Metcard

> No, fun and games is when you insert your metcrud into the barrier
> machines and it dissapears suddenly, and mysteriously the person behind
> you taps on your shoulder showing you your ticket. I have had this
> happen to me once, and i saw it happen to someone last friday, this guy
> was arguing with the station master that his ticket had dissapeared. He
> was standing on it. The same thing had also happened to a friend of
> mine. What i want to know is where the ticket comes out from when it
> does this?

I can tell you exactly what happens, having witnessed it many times. The
ticket goes in the slot at the front, the passengers attention is on the
slot at the top, waiting for the ticket to come out, and it is rejected
(for whatever reason) out of the same slot you put it into. Most people
don't notice as it flutters inconspicuously to the floor.

What I want to know is, what is the logic behind this? Surely it could be
rejected out of the top slot with a message on the digital display. After
all, that is where people are looking. I have had this happen to me with a
perfectly valid ticket, so now I always hold my finger at the entry slot
until I see the ticket at the exit slot. Then you can feel if it is
rejected. But it seems an un-necessary annoyance to me.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)