Re: MagLev to Wollongong: "We'll do it anyway"

Wollongong Quokka wrote in message <6pa3sp$n8j$1@the-fly.zip.com.au>...
[Illawarra Daily Mercury stuff]

>True... I've only just started buying this paper again since he announced
>his retirement.  Woohoo!  Monday August 31 will be Cullen-free. :)

I didn't realise he was retiring. Media Watch and my brother (who lives at
Albion Park) will be pleased.

>> [Bypass tunnel]

>As David said, you'd alternate trains through the tunnel or up the coast.
>This is not disimilar to the current system of express and local services
>with a few exceptions such as the Martin Place - Port Kembla trains which
>stop at Stanwell Park and Austinmer.

Well that means two lines and much more expense so it's a bit unlikely.

>>Umm - if you are in Wollongong why would you want to go to Sydney anyway?
>
>It's a good question.  But facing facts, many people live in the Illawarra
>and work in the Sydney CBD.  Sadly, most of them drive.  At least a few of
>them are car-pooling and the car park at the foot of Mount Keira is nice to
>see full on any weekday.  Still more people drive to Waterfall or
Sutherland
>and change to the train, which is by far the fastest method at the moment.

I suppose you have to be practical

>Who knows... perhaps this whole MagLev thing is a strange way to put the
>tunnel back on the drawing board?  Doesn't sound quite as silly now does
it?

No. And that's the thing about silly schemes. They can sometimes result in
realistic options being considered.

Barry Campbell