MagLev to Wollongong: "We'll do it anyway"

>From the front page of today's (24/7) Illawarra Mercury:

"Wollongong would get a 'stand-alone' very high-speed train link to Sydney
if the Federal Government scuttled the present MagLev proposal to Canberra."

[...]

"[MagLev project director Philip Sellars] said everything possible would be
done to ensure Wollongong had a MagLev service should the French-designed
TGV win the right to build the Sydney-Canberra link.

"'We will continue to pull out all stops to guarantee what the people of the
Illawarra desire', Mr Sellars said."

[...]

The article also claims 70,000 people signed the petition supporting the
MagLev, which is a lot of people for a city of around 210,000.  We can't be
certain exactly what messages can be gleaned from that... except that people
here would love to see the train travel time to Sydney reduced drastically.

--
Robs the Wollongong Quokka
http://profiles.yahoo.com/Wollongong_Quokka/