Re: MagLev to Wollongong: "We'll do it anyway"

Wollongong Quokka wrote in message <6p9iq2$ck5$1@the-fly.zip.com.au>...
>From the front page of today's (24/7) Illawarra Mercury:
>
>"Wollongong would get a 'stand-alone' very high-speed train link to Sydney
>if the Federal Government scuttled the present MagLev proposal to
Canberra."

>[...]
>
>"[MagLev project director Philip Sellars] said everything possible would be
>done to ensure Wollongong had a MagLev service should the French-designed
>TGV win the right to build the Sydney-Canberra link.
>
>"'We will continue to pull out all stops to guarantee what the people of
the
>Illawarra desire', Mr Sellars said."
>
>[...]
>
>The article also claims 70,000 people signed the petition supporting the
>MagLev, which is a lot of people for a city of around 210,000.  We can't be
>certain exactly what messages can be gleaned from that... except that
people
>here would love to see the train travel time to Sydney reduced drastically.

Well lets face it. Mr Cullen is well known for printing some of the most
outrageous shit so this is pretty much par for the course. Idividual jet
packs might work, but the most practical means of shortening the train trip
between Wollongong & Sydney is the bypass tunnel proposed for the northern
Illawarra area. But that would mean people up north would lose their train
service and we couldn't have that, could we?

Barry Campbell

Umm - if you are in Wollongong why would you want to go to Sydney anyway?