Re: MagLev to Wollongong: "We'll do it anyway"

Barry Campbell wrote in message <6p9uql$sf6$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>Well lets face it. Mr Cullen is well known for printing some of the most
>outrageous shit so this is pretty much par for the course.

True... I've only just started buying this paper again since he announced
his retirement.  Woohoo!  Monday August 31 will be Cullen-free. :)

Perhaps since Arkell's death he's had nothing to do?  Good riddance to him
(Cullen).

> [Bypass tunnel]
> But that would mean people up north would lose their train
> service and we couldn't have that, could we?

As David said, you'd alternate trains through the tunnel or up the coast.
This is not disimilar to the current system of express and local services
with a few exceptions such as the Martin Place - Port Kembla trains which
stop at Stanwell Park and Austinmer.

>Umm - if you are in Wollongong why would you want to go to Sydney anyway?

It's a good question.  But facing facts, many people live in the Illawarra
and work in the Sydney CBD.  Sadly, most of them drive.  At least a few of
them are car-pooling and the car park at the foot of Mount Keira is nice to
see full on any weekday.  Still more people drive to Waterfall or Sutherland
and change to the train, which is by far the fastest method at the moment.

Who knows... perhaps this whole MagLev thing is a strange way to put the
tunnel back on the drawing board?  Doesn't sound quite as silly now does it?

--
Robs the Wollongong Quokka
http://profiles.yahoo.com/Wollongong_Quokka/