Re: News on the VST (Very Slow Train)

gono@alphalink.com.au wrote:
> <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >The locos tend to have a smoothing effect on bad track.  Try riding in > >the passenger cars some time.
>
> The section from Nth geelong C to Newport rode absoloutly
> magnificently but this is brand new 60 KG rail and a brand new road
> bed and interestinglg enough the NR'S ride worse than the cars on this
> section.
> Regards Paul Johnston (NRC Melb)

There's been quite a bit of tamping going on between Newport and North
Geelong 'C' in the past few weeks, and yesterday (15/7) I noted fresh
ballast had been dropped between the up side of Lara and the down side
of Corio.

As for loco's smoothing out rough track...well I used to think H sets
were rough riders, then I had a few rides on loco's (B, S and N
class)....for riding qualities it's pass cars by a mile...for a mixture
of fun and terror, ride the loco :)

Cheers,
Craig.
--