Re: News on the VST (Very Slow Train)

"Peter Berrett" <pberrett@tbsa.com.au> wrote:
>For Overland fans I came across an interesting advert on page 28 of The
>Melbourne Age 11/7/1198. Apparently tenders have been called by Victrack
>for concrete sleepering of Pra Pura to Maroona.
>A small step, but one that hopefully will improve the VST's timings a
>little.

VST, .....fair enough Peter, I will pay that one.
Unfortunately the Overland has been a marginal train
for years, even back in the final years of the SAR,
things were not that bright.

There have been a myriad of suggestions on how to
"improve" the service and with all due respect to
contributors, the Overland is a victim of the times
like so many other trains in Australia.
The decline started in the fifties and has not abated
since then.  We will probably regret this one day.

Cars, Buses and Aeroplanes have a lot to do with this.

Cheers