Re: News on the VST (Very Slow Train)

The best bg time Melbourne - Ararat was 2.5 h (not the Overland, but
achievable by the sort of train which the Overland has become): 80 km/h.
To achieve this via the current circuitous route (AFAIK ~60 km longer) will
require an average of 106 km/h.  Even after concrete sleepers, the
goat-track route will still be worse.

Anonymous Tell points out that other modes have overtaken rail: but this
was not god-ordained.  Rail has self destructed.  ASR has just changed the
arrival time to 8.45: utterly useless, but certainly in the style of the
1950s.
--
Regards
Roderick Smith