Re: Mt Lofty Station

On 12 Jul 98 08:13:02 GMT, "Lachlan Smith" <lsmith@senet.com.au>
wrote:

>I was in the Adelaide Hills the other day, and noticed that Mt Lofty
>railway station has been completely restored. The station building and
>signal box have been reroofed and repainted, their is a new ticket booth, a
>new carpark, a new pedestrian ramp, and the area of platform 1 in front of
>the station building has been paved. There are even a couple of new garden
>beds.Come to think of it, it is probably now in better condition than any
>other station in the whole of Adelaide. Does anyone know why this has been
>done? As far as I know, Mt Lofty railway station has been disused now for
>many years, as far as passenger trains go.
>
>Lachlan
Far as I know Mt Lofty station was restored by the local district
council as part of a traing scheme. If I remember it was to be used
for a wine tasting center but some locals complained, then it was to
be used as a touristy craft shop but some locals complained, then a
idea of using it for a restaurant but some locals complained. From the
last thing I heard it was to be used as a day care center for the
aged.

The restoration is great but I would like to see two additions, the
panting of the roof and the replacement of the station name boards.

David Chester