Re: New Siding nr Altona Junction?

> Is it to run to Sydney directly from Adelaide or via Melbourne? I am
> guessing direct as I am sure Countrylink would have something to say if
via
> Melbourne but then they could use a little competition from a real train
> instead of the very fast coach they use 8^) - (referring of course to the
> spartan conditions provided by XPTs that are not much better than a
string
> of 7 buses on rail - maybe they should consider a passenger version of
> Trailerail! Compared of course to the relatively luxurious journey
provided
> by The Ghan.)

According to a recent article in the Advertiser, and I am almost 100%
certain
it is correct, the Sydney Ghan will not run via Melbourne, it will run via
Broken
Hill as per the IP, calling in to Adelaide on the way to Alice Springs
=> each week there will be one Melbourne-Adelaide-Alice
Springs-Adelaide-Melbourne
 and one Sydney-Adelaide-Alice Springs-Adelaide-Sydney Ghan.

Lachlan