Re: Great Northern buys GMs?

David Bromage wrote:

> Frank Jones (desktop@pipeline.com.au) wrote:
> > On 20 Jun 98 13:56:57 GMT, "Hate Spam!" <Spam@ruined.net > wrote:
> >

> > >Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote in article
> > ><358BA207.9E315D1C@fastlink.com.au>...
> > >>
> > > Great Northern recently hauled ballast trains on the Ringwood Line with
> > >multiple T class Locos!
> >
> > Yes, on the RTA Vite Vite tour on 30/5/98 Paul Moore informed us that
> > they were getting 12 (IIRC) GMs. Their possible use on ballast trains
> > was mentioned. One of the earlier series GMs is included.
>
> I can't see they'd have a use for 12, so some may be for spare parts.
> Unless, of course, they want to become the broad gauge Austrac with
> locomotives for hire.

I understand that none of these units are operable and in fact most are heavily
stripped. They hope that there are enough parts to get about half of them
running. Some have no motor, others have no traction motors and others have many
other parts missing. Remember that these are units that were rejected by ASR as
they were too far gone.Bob