Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)

>>What about the flogging we gave them to Sydney and back <vbg> (Ahh!,
>>those were the days). All that crashing around at 115 km/h and then
>>roaring away up 1 in 40's has to count as wear and tear.
>
>Depends a bit on what you mean by flogging.
>The Cs in NSW for some bizzarre reason were derated to a maximum of 950 tonnes
>between Junee & Sydney and 1100 tonnes between Junee & Albury ,even though
>Vline rated them at 1600 tonnes between Albury & Melb,

SRA prefered trains to run up hill quicker than walking pace <vbg>.
especially as C's were most commonly used on superfreighters.

>so whilst they may have
>been working hard up the 1:40s , lets face it , there arnt that many.
>Gunning ==> Oolong  down 5Kms
>Jerrawa ==> top of Mt Mundoonen down 5 kms
>Yass ==> Bowning down 3.5 kms
>Rocky Ponds ==> Cunningar down approx 4 kms
>Murrumburrah ==> Demondrille down 3.2 kms
>Junee ==> mileage 485.6 kms down approx 1 km not quite 1:40
>and thats about it for the down , on the up its a hell of a lot better with
>only the short climb of 1km from the Wagga Viaducts up to Bomen Loop and a
>similar climb from mileage 488 km to the top of the hill just before Junee.
>Nothing north of Junee till Sydney worse than 1:66.

8 notch power to 8 notch dynamic brake and back to 8 notch power
virtually all the way from Wagga to Goulburn.

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.