Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)

"Reuben Farrelly" <reubie@bigpond.com.AAA> wrote, and I selectively
quote:

>Why are the C class being scrapped when locos such as the Y, T and B
>class still live on?

C class are in storage, not being scrapped.  I suspect NR is being a
"dog in the manger" about them denying high horsepower locos (C,BL,EL,
etc) to their competitors (or perhaps it's good business practice -
don't give your competitors an even break).  NR aren't using them
because they are older, less fuel efficient than NR class; also I
don't believe they are covered by a maintenance agreement.

The C class also were used in long haul interstate service and I
imagine would have clocked up very high mileages in that sort of
service.  T & Y class just don't get worked that hard.  I've also been
told by a  driver that turbo-charged engines are more expensive to
maintain once they get older than supercharged/Roots blown engines (is
this why WCR is successfully still running B & S class in daily
service?).  Maybe that's another reason Paul Moore/GN has bought 12
GMs, ie is an old supercharged engine better than an old turbocharged
engine?

Anyone care to comment on the above?

Regards

Yuri