Re: Indian Pacific - West, Not South!

In article <35a18d1f.6666928@news.netconnect.com.au>,
  krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel ) wrote:

> >Just out of curiosity, would the NR have worked singly long-end
> >leading between Parkes & Cootamundra in each direction?
> >
> I doubt it. I seem to recall a PTULD NSW ban on long end running
> except to/from suburban yards.
>
> I think the Somerton Pilot from Melbourne is the longest long end run
> - about 25km usually long end on the up journey.
>
> Cheers
>
> Krel

In 1997 I saw and recorded four sightings of NR's leading trains while long
end leading at Gheringhap Loop. One was a light engine working from Melbourne
to Gheringhap and return. One was lead loco of three NR's on a
Perth/Melbourne train. And the other two were leading Adelaide/Melbourne
trains. But I do not know how far they would have lead for.

Graham Elliott.

Gheringhap Loop.