Re: Anybody notice that there were no W-Class trams in Melbourne today!

Tony Gatt wrote:

> daproc@bigfoot.com wrote:
>
> *I'm gunna win brownie points for the snippings *
>
> > I like them too, but I don't think they have any place in a transport system
> > - they are museum pieces. And although I now live in Sydney, I lived in
> > Melbourne from mid 1991 to December 1993, and travelled from South Melbourne
> > (Route 1) to St Kilda Rd then to Prahran (72), all on W classes - it was
> > dreadful in the middle of a Melbourne winter, and I eventually resorted to
> > driving to and from work, because of the appalling conditions I had to travel
> > in.
> >

> I don't understand the appualing conditions (and Yes I used to work in Brunswick
> St, Nš 11 down St Georges road every morning.) Were the trams conditions in Winter
> WET and COLD? I know waiting at the tram stop was, but at least for the ride I was
> dry.
>
> 99% of the W's had automatic doors. How many W's are running around now with canvas
> pull down doors...
>
> At least when you were driving the most water you would encounter was getting in
> and out of the car.
>
> So whats the overall opinion of using the W's on the City Circle?
> This is a tourist affair, but is quite commonly used by Melburnians to get from one
> end of the city to the other. (Since the demise of the City Circle train).
> Should we replace them with Maroon colored Z's

Nup, I say keep the W's, When I was last there,  found them very nice to ride in, I
can't remember where I went, I used to jump on a tram and in the end, find myself able
to get back to Spencer Street where I was staying. I used the City Circle tram also,
usually it was packed, but it was a good ride.

Most people knew to keep out of the yellow area at the doors (IR sensor). only once did
someone have to be told when I was on it.

--
Bye for now,
Eben.

http://www.klever.net.au/~ebenlevy/

A cat *WILL* blink when hit by a hammer.