Re: Anybody notice that there were no W-Class trams in Melbourne today!

daproc@bigfoot.com wrote:

*I'm gunna win brownie points for the snippings *

> I like them too, but I don't think they have any place in a transport system
> - they are museum pieces. And although I now live in Sydney, I lived in
> Melbourne from mid 1991 to December 1993, and travelled from South Melbourne
> (Route 1) to St Kilda Rd then to Prahran (72), all on W classes - it was
> dreadful in the middle of a Melbourne winter, and I eventually resorted to
> driving to and from work, because of the appalling conditions I had to travel
> in.

I don't understand the appualing conditions (and Yes I used to work in Brunswick
St, Nš 11 down St Georges road every morning.) Were the trams conditions in Winter
WET and COLD? I know waiting at the tram stop was, but at least for the ride I was
dry.

99% of the W's had automatic doors. How many W's are running around now with canvas
pull down doors...

At least when you were driving the most water you would encounter was getting in
and out of the car.

So whats the overall opinion of using the W's on the City Circle?
This is a tourist affair, but is quite commonly used by Melburnians to get from one
end of the city to the other. (Since the demise of the City Circle train).
Should we replace them with Maroon colored Z's