Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 06:28:05 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly)
wrote:

>In article <35a18dbc.6823915@news.netconnect.com.au> krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel ) writes:
>>From: krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel )
>>Subject: Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)
>>Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 02:59:39 GMT
>
>>On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:59:55 +1000, "Reuben Farrelly"
>><reubie@bigpond.com.AAA> wrote:
>

>What I cant fathom is why NR wanted the Cs in the first place , but didnt want
>the ELs.
>Granted the lightweight axle load of an EL of 19 tonnes and its high motor
>gearing means that they arnt brilliant for hauling heavy freight trains , they
>would have been ideal for hauling the GSR pass trains .
>The Els are at most only 7 years old , have the 12 cylinder equivalent of the
>NR FDL16 series engine , so would be just as fuel efficient and were the only
>loco AN would allow 135km/h running across the TAR.
>Sure there were some lease problems with them , but no more than the ANs
>which seem t o have been transferred without any probs.

Flexibility. EL's can run but they can't pull. They would have been
limited to pass trains and Trailerail. Even then, on 'the big truck'
they would need a banker from Tailem Bend.  What would EL's do when
there wasn't a pss train to pull? Stand idle?

>Now we seem to have a class of locos in limbo land that noone wants or cares
>about.

If no one else wants them does it proves that they just weren't worth
bothering with.

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.