Re: Start of ARTC.

In article <6nd72g$1q0$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Start of ARTC.
>Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:23:20 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
>>One of the major problems that ARTC will face in maintaining the track and
>>improving it , is the relatively small number of trains that run over
>it,and
>>the level of track access charges they will realistically be able to levy.

><snip>

>You've hit the nail on the head Maurie. One of the biggest problems rail has
>in Australia is the relatively small amount of traffic offering. You can see
>why it's so tempting for governments to spend money on projects such as
>upgrading the Pacific Hwy which most certainly saves motorists' lives, wins
>votes and can be used by B-doubles etc and save the expense on upgrading the
>railway without unduly impairing transport eficiency. Mind you, this is a
>short term view. The fact is that ARTC and anything else like it will need
>to be subsidised as a public utility.

>Barry Campbell

The problem with subsidising ARTC , is that in effect its simply a transfer of
funds from the feds to the states in disguise.
The costs of interstate freight vary enormously in Australia depending on
where you want to run your trains, with the Albury - Sydney section being the
most expensive by far.
(This is primarily due to the large number of safeworking staff ,(signallers /
 train controllers etc) needed to operate this bit of the line due to the
historical makeup of the line , and the failure of RAC / SRA to do anything
about improving the 19th century safeworking systems .
We still have block telegraph between Harden Sth and Wallandbeen , and
Wingello & Exeter, not to mention a large number of 7 day/week 24 hour / day
manned signalboxes.
Contrast this with the current Melb - Adelaide line , which is effectively
operated by 3 people, (2 X Victrak Controllers & 1 X ARTC / AN controller.)
(It could be done with 2 with a bit of cooperation.)
Its not possible to accurately determine what price RAC charges for track
access in NSW , as they wont tell you , but from estimates of NR payments to
RAC , its in the order of 0.8- 0.9 c/ntk , which is 3 times higher than what
AN used to charge when it existed.
Even 0.3c/ntk is too high when compared with what the road freight industry
has to pay on an equivalent cost basis , ie if road usage was charged in the
same way as is rail. (the equivalent road charge is 0.08 c/ntk.)
Sadly , I cant see any relief , unless a Rail operator has the guts to take
RAC or Westrail to the ACCC, and have them explain their charges.
This wont happen until NRC is completely privatised or ASR wnats to start
running trains in NSW.

cheers
MD