Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

"Mike" <malex@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> But he ("Mr CityRail") is one of the best.  Second place: "Ms Flinders
>> Street" (The Met)?  Is she still there?

>I assume that you mean the _original_ Ms Flinders St. Alas, she is long
>gone. She was obviously a tape-job, as I vividly remember the St. Kilda
>line tape was often out of step, and used to say "Kilda train Saint".

>There is a new "Ms. Flinders St", but on Platform one only. Platforms 2 & 3
>have the standard "Mr. Good Afternoon Passengers", who is heard at all(?)
>suburban stations.

>On the loop stations there is "Ms. Attention Platform 1". Most sexy.

>And at Spencer St. there is (was?) "Mr. the... *TRAIN!*... on...
>PLATFORM... 3 will go TO..."

That was the Man in Grey, well it was in my day, anyway.  Thirty years
later, I can still reel off his nightly, never-changing. announcement
for the Sprit of Progress.  His call "hurry along now for the Spirit
of Progress nearly due out from platform number one" rings in my ears
to this day.

Geoff Lambert