Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

> But he ("Mr CityRail") is one of the best.  Second place: "Ms Flinders
> Street" (The Met)?  Is she still there?

I assume that you mean the _original_ Ms Flinders St. Alas, she is long
gone. She was obviously a tape-job, as I vividly remember the St. Kilda
line tape was often out of step, and used to say "Kilda train Saint".

There is a new "Ms. Flinders St", but on Platform one only. Platforms 2 & 3
have the standard "Mr. Good Afternoon Passengers", who is heard at all(?)
suburban stations.

On the loop stations there is "Ms. Attention Platform 1". Most sexy.

And at Spencer St. there is (was?) "Mr. the... *TRAIN!*... on...
PLATFORM... 3 will go TO..."

On a similar note, I remeber the announcements on the Barcelona metro which
were unusual in that the one announcement would be a mixture of male and
female voices. The male voice would say the standard bit, with the female
voice cutting in for the station name(s). A bit like Channel 10 news
really.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)