Re: Electrification of the rail north of Broadmeadows?

Chris Brownbill wrote:

> Michael <NOSPAM-simcard@comcen.com.au> wrote in article
> <6amkvi$7tb$1@loomi.telstra.net>...
> > Another idea, thought of from the thread "UPFIELD LINE ALTERATIONS" is,
> that
> > both Upfield and Broadmeadows lines can be electrified to Somerton then
> > Craigieburn. Services can then be run City -> Broadmeadows -> Craigieburn
> ->
> > Upfield -> City, and City -> Upfield -> Craigieburn -> Broadmeadows ->
> City.
> >
> > What is everyone's opinion on this? I'm sure there are more lines out
> there
> > than just this one that are in the same situation?
> >

> What about South-West from Cranbourne to Langwarrin and Frankston.
> Cranbourne and Frankston are both very large population and growth areas
> and the two lines are surprisingly close to each other.   A
> Melbourne-Cranbourne-Frankston-Melbourne and vv line would be a very useful
> loop  (As opposed to a Useless Loop which is the name of a place in WA but
> that's another matter).

Given that the local bus company only runs a half hour service between
Cranbourne and Frankston (www.buslines.com.au, look up F.A. Phillips
routes 790 and 791), would there be enough customers to support such a
link?
	For interest sake, Metplan suggested a light rail line... but they
couldn't even implement average frequency 'Metlink' arterial bus
services! The closest they got was 634 and that got split in half after
a few years.