Re: Stony Point Pass

David Bromage wrote:

> Mark Russell. (jonas@peninsula.starway.net.au) wrote:
> >Mon 5-1-1998, the Stony Point pass had N475 with SH30
> >instead of the usual A with 2 or 3 MTH carriages.
>
> The MTH cars were all in Melbourne being fitted with ticket machines. The
> only suitable replacement was an SH set, and as a result needed a loco
> with head end power.
>
> Many of you will remember the big show a bit ofer 2 years ago when
> Frankston - Stony Point officially became a V/Line service rather than The
> Met. It has very recently and very quietly been handed over to Bayside
> Trains, although still operated by V/Line Passenger rollingstock.
>
> Cheers
> David

>From my understanding, the only reason I know of that it became a Vline
service at all was because of staffing issues. Being a Vline carriage
set, it had to be run with a driver and conductor. Being a Met service,
it had to be run with a driver and guard (this was before SPOT).
Therefore the train was the only Met pass train with 3 members of staff
on board. Becoming a Vline service (which accepted Met tickets) meant
that the staff could be reduced to 2 (and eventually 1). Once SPOT was
introduced fully, I suppose that it could then feasibly operate as a Met
(or now Bayside) Train with 2 or 1 person(s).
	IMHO, it makes more sense for the service to be a Bayside Train service
than a Vline Passenger service. It is effectively an extension of a
suburban service that cannot be extended into country areas (unless
someone forgets the PNG tunnel and builds one from Stony Point to
Phillip Island instead 8^).) Vline Passenger are unlikely to take much
interest in such a service as there would be limited income and it is
not really core business for them. A privatised Bayside Trains on the
other hand might improve the service as it is more worth their while.
	Another reason is also: when a pro-rail government (well, I guess I am
allowed to dream on occasionally) is ruling Victoria, the proposal that
surfaces on rare occasions (approx. 3 year intervals) to extend
electrification past Frankston won't cause any issues on who owns what
and who is entitled to run what.
	As am aside, does anyone know whether Bayside will still continue to
hire Vline Passenger carriages and locos and staff when either
organisation gets privatised. Maybe it might be worth a heritage
organisation (esp a local one based around say Mornington) putting in to
offer to take over if it can be profitable and they can feasibly run the
service. It might be one way to help raise funds for restoration and
would tie in nicely with any local projects such a railway heritage
organisation might have. Having said that, I know little of what it
might take and it is merely an idea.