Re: Ticket Machines on Melbourne Trams

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:44:02 -0500, "Jeff B. Kurland"
<kurlandj@erols.com> wrote:

>So...(U.S. speaking...) what's a milkbar?
>
>Is it what we might call a "mom & pop" grocery store?

Think of it a sort of cross between a McDonalds, a New York Deli and a
sort of 7-11.  There's really nothing quite like it in US terms.

Sells milkshakes (which is where the name mostly comes from) , pop,
tea, coffee, hamburgers and other fast food, other light refreshments
with some sit down eating space, may also have a make sandwiches to
order .  Also sells chocolate, candies and snack food, probably sells
some basic food lines and maybe newspaper on weekends and after hours.

Just for thoroughness, in New Zealand they call the "Dairy Bars" or
more often just "Dairies".

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton                 billbolton@acslink.net.au