Re: Metcard Implementation

Daniel Bowen wrote in message <69v78g$lpg$1@eplet.mira.net.au>...

>I didn't know this before, but it would appear that the Frankston line
south of
>Ormond (inclusive) have switched on Metcard. Some observations...
>
>- At Moorabbin, Sunday 18/1/98, the large machine was out of service. A
short
>queue developed at the small machine, and I noticed what people did...
>
>- Person 1 bought his ticket without too much trouble, then went down the
ramp
>without validating it. Does it make any sense to have to validate it in the
>second machine straight after having bought it? Will people trying to evade
>fares now carry an unvalidated MetCard in their pocket and when they come
across
>an inspector, claim they forgot, or didn't know they needed to validate it
(like
>many do with scratch tickets now)?

On the Glen Waverley Line, they put up with people not validating their
tickets
for a while but they've given up and started giving $100 fines and taking
their ticket.

*snip*

>- Person 3 (me), bought a 2 hour zone 1&2 ticket for my wife (I have a
Monthly).
>The train was just coming when I plucked the ticket from the machine. We
set off
>down the ramp. I put the ticket into the validator, and it just spat it out
>again and said "RETRY". I thought bugger this, I'm not trying for ten
minutes to
>validate the ticket and missing our train because the machine's faulty, so
we
>just kept going down the ramp and caught the train.

This happens a lot with tickets bought on buses (had it happen to me about 3
times)
and then when you try to validate the ticket at the station (some would say
why
bother?) it prints expired on the ticket or just spits the ticket out and
says RETRY.
Johann