Re: End of the Sand Train?

In article <34c12a51.1029939@news.enternet.com.au>, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri  Sos/Melbourne) wrote:
>Michael Walker <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Why is there so many track limits around and why does it take so long to
>>fix them?
>
>No funding and no will on the part of the government to pay for or
>find funds for essential repairs.
>
>The big floods in Gippsland a few years damaged powerlines, roads,
>road bridges and other community infrastructure, including the *rail*
>bridge over the Avon River at Stratford.  Quick now, which of the
>above was not repaired within two weeks?  Now the folk in Bairnsdale
>call for the water train to assist if fires reach them, and the train
>has now been positioned at Sale, unable to proceed further east.

This is truely another V/line disgrace!

>We (as a community) voted them in, we now have to take their medicine
>(he said, mixing metaphors<g!>).

Yes, the only problem being, that most of this infrastructure will not be put back once they realise the damage that has been caused.

>With Jeff wanting to sell off V/Line Freight, it seems odd that
>VicTrack is closing lines, ripping out loops, sidings and generally
>removing infrastructure so that even if a contractor wanted to use
>rail, there will be limited or no facilities to enable pick up or
>delivery of goods.

What lines have been ripped up of late?

>If you discount V/Line Grain, there aren't too many goods trains left
>in Victoria.

True, who would want to really operate intrastate services in Vic? There is no
infrastructure left!

Brian